Thursday, May 9, 2019

Literary Analysis, Week 15, Orientation: A Short Story by Daniel Orozco


This week I read and am using Orientation: A Short Story by Daniel Orozco, which was about an employee’s first day of work and is given an orientation by another co-worker for my analysis. The information given was too much, would be very overwhelming, and could cause anxiety. As I was reading this story I was getting anxiety with the information overload and trying to figure out who everyone is, and how to process all of the information given to me. I have given many new employee orientations and they were nothing like this. During the reading, I was envisioning the new employee’s face during this orientation and was laughing to myself.
Literary Elements: The character I will be analyzing as my literary element is the employee giving the Orientation. From the beginning of Orientation: A Short Story by Daniel Orozco, the employee giving the new employee the first day orientation provided too much information at one time and also provided information that was not needed and did not relate to the job. He was too concerned with sharing the other’s personal business and not focused on the new employee. Additionally, the information he provided was very vague and overwhelming, “This is your phone. Never answer your phone. Let the Voicemail System answer it. This is your Voicemail System Manual.” Paragraph 1.
Themes: The whole short story was about information given during a new employee orientation. During this time the employee was given a lot of information about his workplace, however much of this information had nothing to do with his actual job. I feel like of the personal information given about the co workers was inappropriate, not related, and could cause pre-judgement of them. It is important to learn about others character for yourself because the experience or view someone else has may not be yours and can cause issues.
Context: The amount of personal and non-work related information given was inappropriate. “Russell Nash, who sits in the cubicle to your left, is in love with Amanda Pierce, who sits in the cubicle to your right. They ride the same bus together afterwork.” Paragraph 4. This is a perfect example of information given and not needed.
This was a good short story to read because it made me think about how I have felt during a first day orientation of a new job. I already feel anxious, nervous, and unsure, if I had this orientation, I honestly would not come back. I believe first impressions are everything.


Cited Work
https://fsgworkinprogress.com/2011/05/17/orientation-by-daniel-orozco/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Amber!

    I am so happy that you decided to do your analysis on this story! I read it last week and I absolutely loved it!
    I also enjoyed reading your analysis and it was awesome reading someone else's view.
    I read this story while listening to someone else reading it, and the person reading was playing the role of the employee giving the orientation. They even put sound effect and office noise. It was amazing all the irony and satire present in this short piece, but gosh, that gave me the creeps. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, hello!

    This was a fun analysis to read! I got a little anxiety reading how overwhelming the actual reading was! I am intrigued by the quote you included: “This is your phone. Never answer your phone. Let the Voicemail System answer it. This is your Voicemail System Manual.” Paragraph 1. Feels like information was flying fast and furious, but not making any kind of sense. If that was the author's purpose, he nailed it!

    ReplyDelete

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...