Monday, May 20, 2019

Reading Notes B, Week 17, Bulosan



America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610)

Go back to Stockton and look for a job in the tomato fields…(604)
I was in flight, again from an unknown terror that seemed to follow me everywhere. (604)
Niles (grape fields and apricot trees)
San Jose got on a freight going south
Salinas to San Luis Obispo
Filipino man too him by car to Pismo Beach.
…community was a small block near the sea- a block of poolrooms, gambling houses, and little green cottages where prostitutes were doing business. (606)
Filipino man took him to Lompoc, passed through Santa Maria
I came to know afterwards that in many ways it was a crime to be a Filipino in California. I came to know that the public streets were not free to my people….. We were suspect each time that we were seen with a white woman. And perhaps it was this narrowing of our life into an island, into a filthy segment of American society, that driven Filipinos like Doro inward, hating everyone and despising all positive urgencies toward freedom. (606)
Standing behind him was my brother Amado, holding a long-bladed knife. (607)
My brother grabbed me affectionately and for a long time he could not say a word. (608)
“We are in the bootleg racket,” said my brother. “Alfrado and I will make plenty of money. But it is dangerous.” (609)
He put some money in my pocket. “Here is something for you to remember me by.” (609)
“If you would like to go to school, “ said my brother in parting, “just let me know. But whatever you do, Carlos, don’t lose your head. Good-bye!” (610)
“Please, God, don’t change me in America!” I said to myself, looking the other way so that I would not cry.” (610)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...