Thursday, May 2, 2019

Project Action Plan #3, Week 14, The Joy Luck Club


Choose a reading selection. Explore the relationship between elements of the selection. 

How does setting influence character development – China vs San Francisco, California, US.

The four mothers were born and grew up in China, their daughters were born and grew up in San Francisco. The mothers wanted a different life for their children, but still tried to instill their cultural values in them. The mothers realized that although they wanted a better life for their children in America, it was very different then what they expected.

Literary Devices:
Flashback
Characterization
Paradox
Simile

“.. Chinese New Year, my mother gave me my “life’s importance,” a jade pendant on a gold chain. …..I stuffed the necklace in my lacquer box and forgot about it. ….I wonder what it means, because my mother died three months ago…. Shes the only person I could have asked, to tell me about life’s importance to help me understand my grief. I now wear that pendant every day” (197)

“She lies down on a psychiatrist couch, squeezing the tears out about this shame…..I know this, because I was raised the Chinese way. I was taught to desire nothing, to swallow other people’s misery, to eat my own bitterness. And even though I taught my daughter the opposite, still she came out the same way!” (215)

“My mother, she suffered. She lost her face and tried to hide it. She found only greater misery and finally could not hide that. There is nothing more to understand. That was China… They had no choice. They could not speak up. They could not run away. That was their fate. But now they can do something else. Now they no longer have to swallow their own tears…” (241)

“When my daughter looks at me, she sees a small old lady. That is because she sees only with her outside eyes. She has no chuming, no inside knowing of things. If she had chuming, she would see a tiger lady. And she would have careful fear.” (248)

“Now I must tell my daughter everything. That she is the daughter of a ghost…. I will use this sharp pain to penetrate my daughter’s tough skin and cut her tiger spirit loose.” (252)

“My daughter did not look pleases when I told her this, that she did not look Chinese. She had a sour American look on her face. Oh, maybe ten years ago, she would have clapped her hands – hurray!- as if it were good news. But now she wants to be Chinese, it is so fashionable. And I know it is too late. All those years I tried to teach her!” (253)
“It’s my fault she is this way. I wanted my children to have the best combination: American circumstances and Chinese character. How could I know these two things did not mix?” (254)
“…but I couldn’t teach her about Chinese character. How to obey parents and listen to your mother’s mind. How not to show your own thoughts, to put your feelings behind your face so you can take advantage of hidden opportunities.” (254)

Cited Work
Tran, Amy, et at “The Joy Luck Club”, Penguin Books, 2006

3 comments:

  1. HI Amber, The book The Joy Luck Club seems like a good read and I am excited to see how your project turns out. After reading your quotes it seems like you have picked some that do a very good job at addressing your thesis. I think that your thesis is the first passage in your writing and if that is the case I think that you have some good ideas in there but you more so just do a lot of summarizing of what has happened in the text an not so much your ideas. Your literary devices seem to be good and I am interested in how you connect them to the story. Good job planning your project so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber!
    You have a solid start on your final project. I like how you have found the quotes you wish to build your project around and have them listed out already. I haven't read the book myself, but I am curious if you would be able to give an example and description of the influence for each of the 4 mothers you referenced? It would be great to see a paragraph focusing on one mother at a time then another paragraph or two tying it all together -- again, not even sure if that is a realistic idea or not. I am looking forward to how you use each (or some) of the quotes you have shared with us here.
    Best!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber. Setting and character development will definitely be a great topic for The Joy Luck Club. There is one chapter specifically I think it was on Waverly, where there was a lot of setting you can use in this project. I noticed you listed a lot of quotes, but I am curious to see which ideas you have about them and how you will connect this quotes to the topic of Setting and character development. These quotes you listed are all great, but what if you had listed for each quote, the character that it is on? I am curious how you will write on the Literary device paradox. That seems complicated for me to write about, so I would like to see what you come up with. Good luck on this project. I am excited to read it once you complete it. I am sure you will do just fine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...