Thursday, May 2, 2019

Reading Notes B, Week 14, The Joy Luck Club


Double Face 253-266
Lindo Jong – at the hair salon getting her hair ready for the wedding. Waverly speaks for her mother.
Daughter – Waverly Jong – preparing for her wedding and thinking about her honeymoon in China.

“When you go to China,” I told her, “you don’t even need to open your mouth. They already know you are an outsider.” “What are you talking about? She asked. My daughter likes to speak back. She likes to question what I say.” (253)
“Even if you put on their clothes, even if you take off your makeup and hide your fancy jewelry, they know. They know just watching you walk, the way you carry your face. They know you do not belong.”(253)
“Oh, maybe ten years ago, she would have clapped her hangs – hurray!-as if this were good news. But now she wants to be Chinese, it is so fashionable” (253)
“It’s my fault she is this way. I wanted my children to have the best combination: American circumstances and Chinese character. How could I know these two things did not mix?” (254)
“…but I couldn’t teach her about Chinese character. How to obey parents and listen to your mother’s mind. How not to show your own thoughts, to put your feelings behind your face so you can take advantage of hidden opportunities.” (254)

A Pair of Tickets (267-288)
Suyuan Woo – left twin babies on the side of the road, they are now adults and Jing-Mei and her father are traveling to China to meet them for the first time.
Daughter Jing-Mei Woo
“But today I realize I’ve never really known what is means to be Chinese. I am thirty-six years old. My mother is dead and I am on a train, carrying with me her dreams of coming home. I am going to China.” (268)
“Together we look like our mother. Her same eyes, her same mouth, open in surprise to see, at last, her long-cherished wish.”(288)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...