Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Reading Notes B, Week 7, Baum

In the story From Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, by L. Frank Baum, imaginary is used as the literary device.
Characters:
Dorothy: main character, young girl, arrived on a train from San Francisco to Hugson's Siding, it was several hours late due to the earthquakes. She was there to meet back up with her uncle Henry, so they could return home to Kansas. Uncle Henry was visiting with his brother in law Bill Hugson.
Zebedia (Zeb) was Bill Hugson's nephew and a second cousin to Dorothy. Zeb and his horse, Jim, had been waiting for Dorothy to arrive at the train station.
As the Dorothy, Zeb, and Jim were returning to the Hugson Ranch, earthquakes started again and the ground was splitting apart, the earth opened right in front of them but they did not fall in. However the second time the earth split right under the horse and buggy. "Suddenly there was a rending, tearing sound, and the earth split into another great crack just beneath the spot where the horse was standing....the animal body fell into the pit, drawing the buggy.."pg 350 As I was reading this I was imagining the scene in my mind, as the author was describing the fall I could see it in my mind. "...Jim's big ears turn to violet and the other to rose...she looked at Zeb, whose face was blue and whose hair was pink.." pg 352 Dorothy realized they were not in danger but she was going on another great adventure, as she had before. The three of them landed safely on a roof, in the middle of a large city.
I was not a huge fan of The Wizard of OZ and not even sure I watched the whole movie, but after reading this short section of this sequel, I want to watch the whole movie and read this book. Baum really has me as the reader wanting more because he uses imaginary very well in his story.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amber. Great job on your notes. They are very detailed. I was also not a fan of The Wizard of Oz and I vaguely remember the story. I do not know if it was like this one in our book for this class or different. I watched The Wizard of Oz when I was younger, and I remember it being boring and putting me to sleep. If I remember correctly, I think that song "...over the rainbow" was in it? I thought that song was so sad. I did not like. Great notes!

    ReplyDelete

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...