Thursday, March 21, 2019

Topic Brainstorm, Week 8, 3 Possible topics


Topic 1: Love, work, freedom, etc. Then choose two selections and discuss how that subject is discussed in those selections.
Love: During our readings there has been lots of stories about love, falling in love, love of family, love of culture, love of landscape, and love of one’s self. I the theme of love can be found in many of these stories. I want to compare two stories and discuss how they both have the theme of love and the different ways love is shown.

Topic 2: Think about a theme you see running through your life. Choose a reading that you think also discusses this theme. Explore connections between how the theme play out in your life, and how the theme gets played out in the reading.
In the beginning of this class, when I selected this topic for our first analysis, my reason was different. Before I said that I did not see a theme from the readings that were similar to my life, however now that we have read so many more I can relate or connect with some of the stories. There has been a few themes that I can relate and connect with. As I continue to read the next few weeks, if another one presents it’s self then I will choose this topic.

Topic 3: From a piece of fiction choose a female character on whom to focus, and create a project.
I would like to choose a female character from a story because I would like to see how the author creates, describes, and has the female play a part in the story. The female role will show how the author feels towards woman and can be a reflection how they feel in real life. Females did not often have a main role in a stories, they were not treated as equal as they are now. Different authors have different views and I will be able see how this author views woman.

2 comments:




  1. Hi Amber,

    We have read so many love stories through the past few weeks, I feel that it would be pretty easy to choose two stories and compare/contrast the ways they each express the theme of love. I like how you included "love of landscape" as well.

    For some reason, I feel like I would struggle keeping your topic 2 under the required 1,000 - 2,000 words, although I guess it depends on the theme you choose. Do you have any specific theme in mind yet or are you waiting to see if you find a clear connection with a story?

    I chose your topic 3 for my first project and it was good insight to try to view the female character from the author's point of view. You would assume since the author wrote the book that their view of the characters would be obvious, but the topic makes you take a good, hard look at how the author wants their characters to be viewed. it is a great way to analyze a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amber!

    I love how organized and settled you are already. It seems that you have a pretty good idea of what you are going to write.
    Your ideas for your first topic were my favorites because you mentioned the different ways of love and, although it is pretty normal, I don't know why I haven't considered this as an option. I only had in my mind the romantic one. If you choose this topic, I will be certain to read your project because this seems a really interesting one!
    The second option is also a good choice. Since you said you have much to relate now and may have even more in the future, I would suggest you pick this topic to your last project. We will have read basically the whole book by then and you will have a broad idea and many more options to choose.

    In any case, I'm sure that you will do an amazing job! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...