Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Reading Notes B, Week 9, Fisher


The First Oyster by M. F. K. Fisher
Miss Huntingdon’s School for girls: 75 boarders, 25 woman
Mrs. Cheever: uncomfortable, lonely, college graduate, super-lady, cook, snubbed by her colleagues
Christmas Party: oysters served, exotic:
“got one with surprising neatness into my mouth”
“The oyster in was still in my mouth. I smiled, with care, and stood up ..”
“The oyster seemed larger. I knew that I must down it, and was equally sure that I could not. Then, as Olmsted put her thin hand on my shoulder blades, I swallowed once, and felt light and attractive and daring, to know what I had done.”pg 571
“If I could still taste my first oyster, if my tongue still felt fresh and excited, it was perhaps too bad. Although things are different now, I hoped then, suddenly and violenty, that I would never see one again.” Pg 574

Old Girls’ Day – warn day in June, fun party, good food. “mean to all but the Seniors, who had to be nice to the returning alumnae.” Pg 568 “For moment, at least, in the year, we were greatful to her for our deliciously full mouths.” Pg 569
Southern California: climate considered tropical 
Demitasses – a small coffee cup  

The literary devices used in this story were characterization and point of view. The author used characterization as ways to describe how Mrs. Cheever appeared, thought and felt. The author also used point of view to describe how she and others viewed Mrs. Cheever in the different settings throughout the story.

This was not one of my favorite stories to read in the book, the story did not really spark my interest. The only thing that thought was interesting and funny was when she had the oyster in her mouth and described it. My father and husband enjoy oysters and I think they are gross, so it was funny to read her point of view of the oyster and eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...