Sunday, February 24, 2019

Project Action Plan, Week 4: Winnemucca "From Life among the Piutes

Project Topic: Choose one short story or novel excerpt. Write a piece in which you explore: What does this story teach us about history?

Story: Thocetony (Sarah Winnmucca) "From Life among the Piutes" pg 254-261

I will be writing a Literary Analysis for my project.

Setting:
Piutes tribe: children being raised, respect for parents and each other, cultural gatherings for young girls and boys to meet each other, the process of when a girl becomes a woman, how a husband is chosen, process of when a boy becomes a man, woman and men treated equally, how they charmed antelopes.

Themes:
Children are taught to be good, love everyone without being told.
Respect for each other and traditions: no swearing, no talking bad about each other.
Believe in cultural traditions: charming antelopes (put under a "spell")

Context:
The context of the story describes the culture and traditions of the Piutes tribe. I enjoyed reading this story because it describes and educates me on the Piutes culture. Culture is something I am trying to understand more about, for example, why do we loose our cultural traditions. In this story, it is clear that this tribe wants to stay together and keep their traditions but they wanted to diminish and shrink their tribe instead of multiplying it because they believed their daughters were not safe. pg 256
I believe the author is telling a story about her tribe and is using the information to keep they history alive for them, with this story we now get to read and understand what her life was like as a child and how the culture of his tribe influenced her as she became an adult. Winnemucca also compares and describes how her tribe was different from the "white men." Indians do not swear, - they have no words for swearing till they learned them of the white men." pg 254


4 comments:

  1. Hello Amber, hopefully writing a literary analysis for your project will be a little easier than other options since we have been doing the literary analysis' for homework. You did an awesome job breaking your project down into different categories, and stating what you will talk about with each category. This should help with your project, and that has given me an idea to do the same thing by breaking it down. The information that you have chosen to talk about is very good, and should make for a good project. Keep up the good work and I am sure your project will end up great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Logan, thank you for taking the time to read this and for the feedback. Writing this and the feedback from Ms. H has really helped me. Good luck as week, have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Hi Amber, I am a little confused. The topic you chose to write about for project 1 is: Choose one short story or novel excerpt. Write a piece in which you explore the following: 1.In what ways could this story be considered an artifact of history? 2.What does this story teach us about history? 3.How does a story teach us about a time or place differently than a history book? If so, I think for this topic you have to answer all 3 questions. Honestly, I did not read this story you have chosen. It seems very interesting though. I like that you mentioned that this tribe wanted to diminish and shrink their tribe and that they wanted to do this because their daughters were not safe. What if you write on how shrinking this tribe would keep their daughters safer? Was there any detail on that? I really enjoyed reading your project plan and I will have to check out this story when I have the time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Amber!
    Wow your chosen project seems to be so hard; To me, writing about historical contexts is always a hard task, but it seems that it'll be easy for you since you have your ideas pretty much planned out.
    Oh, I love that you're going to write a Literary Analysis, it is something that I always enjoy reading! I also love that you decided to talk about setting in your literary device section. We are always writing about the characters or the plot, so I'm going to read your project later because I'm curious to see how you'll develop it.
    Anyway, I haven't read this story, honestly, but I don't get how you're planning to discuss how this story can teach us about history. I feel that you may explore the cultural contribution that the Piutes gave to us, am I right?
    I'm looking forward to reading your final project!

    ReplyDelete

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...