Thursday, February 7, 2019

Week 2, Analysis: Closed Reading: About the House Girl


Why would Ifapi's father send her away to her aunt's house?

".it was foolish thought that you might continue to keep yourself from men and that the Flute Player of Rekwoi.... wish to marry you." When I read this part of the story, the story had fallen together for me. Ifapi's father sent her to live with her aunt near Patapir because he wanted her to marry him, it was his plan. At first I thought that Ifapir's father was not going to approve of her marriage to Patapir, but in fact he wanted his for many years.
"before you were grown and went away from me" Ifapi's father uses this to say when you were younger and lived at home, I felt he was trying to make her feel like who she chose as her husband was not what she was suppose to do and tell her that he does not approve of this man he has not hear anything about.
This passage elaborates on the background of the story, it helps build the climax. I thought the climax was when Patapir went and took Ifapi from her aunt's house, but once I read this part, this was the climax and it made the story connect and fall into place. All of the events of the story from when Patapir was little and played his flute and the music would travel up the river, to the details of Ifapi's shyness and stayed away from men, Patapir's interest in a girl across the river, he never met or even seen, these details build the story, that means to me that they were meant to be with another, it was like an arranged married from birth, but Patapir found his way to a woman that he had never met. Ifapi's saved herself for a man she never met, only heard his music. 

















“Tell me then - who is this man, your husband – you must know, my child, that when I let you go away from me, it was with the foolish thought that you might continue to keep yourself from men, and that the Flute Player of Rekwoi might one day come to know of your being chosen by the Leader and wish to marry you. I know his family, and perhaps you have not forgotten how we used to listen together to his songs as they floated up the river – before you were grown and went away from me.” pg 47-48

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I appreciate how you focused in on one small passage and how it conveyed meaning to you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amber!


    I feel a little silly not catching that HUGE detail in the story! I couldn’t connect why her father chose to send her away to his sister’s house. I finished reading feeling as though her father had hoped Ifapi and Patapir would find each other, but was tired and must have completely overlooked the obvious! It was an arranged marriage, destined for love.

    Thank you for your insight!

    Best,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Week 17, Weekly Analysis, America is in the Heart

America Is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan (604-610) How do you keep your personal worth from changing when your environment tells you...